Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Economics and Marxism


Sunshine!  Amazing how it can 'sort of, kind of' make you feel better.  I'm trying, I swear, but I'm still feeling like it's a rainy day every day lately. 

This is what it looks like outside of my window today.  This is the back yard view. That tree actually used to hit our house.  We snuck out there one day with one of those big ladders and a saw and snapped that puppy down.    Now it 'almost' reaches the house, which is still enough to kill the grass under it. 

I came across an article today about Marxism and how Karl Marx predicted the current economic crisis in the US and the UK.  I had to read Das Kapital when I was in University.   It was by far the most difficult book I ever had to read, and if my history professor wasn't so fantastic I would have thrown in the towel right there.  

I have to say I am inclined to agree with the article though, the downfall of the US and an ultimate US/UK recession seems like it's based on the model as Marx predicted it: Capitalist bankers turned greedy and made their money off the backs of the people underneath them (which pretty much includes all of the middle and lower class).    Just thought it was interesting.   Occasionally I unearth my brain from under the bed where I keep it and dust it off.  I have mostly forgotten what it was like to go to University, as all of that information is now replaced by "Where is the apple juice?"  'Did you lose your library book again?" "Do you need to go poopies?"  Fun stuff. 

Today is my husband's birthday, so I am going to go and bake him a cake.  I'm trying a different icing this time, it's called Ganache.  Looks yummy.  I like to bake the cakes, I don't like to eat them, so at least my muffin top cannot explode into a full blown spare tire.





No comments: