Thursday, March 5, 2009

Is there a recession in Webkinz world too?

I woke up recently at 6 am to find my daughter crying in front of the computer.  She's 7, so there are two things in this scenario that bothered me.  Why on earth was she up at 6 am, and why was she crying at the computer?

I found out, between sobs of course, that she had woke up and decided to go and logon to Webkinz world.  She has 24 Webkinz that grace her shelves and sleep with her at night, and although she doesn't logon to the web site very often, she definitely loves her little animals. 

As we hadn't been on there, she hadn't been feeding her little animals regularly.  She also hadn't been amassing much KinzCash, because she was nearly broke and her babies all had ice bags on their heads from 'going hungry'.  I spent the next half hour selling off possessions from her rooms in order to bring these online creatures back to life, and although I was happy to make her feel better, I was not impressed with the entire web site!

Webkinz used to give you the option of sending your pets to the spa in order to revitalize them.  If you had a bunch running low, you could send them all.  I think the fee was $100 KinzCash for her 20 odd animals.  We tried that option, and it made me realize that recession had hit Webkinz world, because they jacked the spa price to $6000!  

Are they joking?  I know that the TV's we sold and the couches were not used (for real anyway) by her animals, but it made me sad to sit and watch her rooms empty one by one.  Her little face was crushed.  Prior to that morning, if you didn't actually choose that individual animal to play with, they remained in some sort of limbo.  Not hungry, not thirsty, just there if you wanted them.  Now they change it? What's the point?

It seems ridiculous to spend anytime at all thinking about Webkinz unless I'm playing with my kids, but really, is it necessary to add such urgency to a land of imaginary animals?  I'd rather my kid have the option of visiting occasionally than feel pressured to go every single day.  I don't even want her sitting on the computer every day.  

At any rate, that's my rant for today.  I'm still seriously considering sending them a letter telling them they are all a bunch of idiots.  Too bad Obama isn't the president of Webkinz World.  It looks like they need a bailout plan too. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh no, I am afraid to see what sate our little kitty will be in. Great post Shelly!